Monday, October 03, 2005

Meeting Trevor and the Blown Save


On Monday, the 26th of September, I met Trevor Hoffman, the San Diego Padres closer, at a local restaurant while we were both filling our sodas. I was surprised and feeling pretty lucky. I said something stupid like, "Trevor?" Thus began our conversation.

I told him I was indeed a Padres fan and had tickets to the game that night, the next night, and Friday and Saturday as well. I couldn't go to the other games that week because I was going to be on travel. Normally we don't go to so many games, but it just so happened this was the culmination of a bunch of tickets and exchanges and free tickets that made this one of the heaviest weeks. I must have sounded quite dedicated to the team.

Anyway, during the conversation he said the magic number was like 2, and I actually corrected him to 4. I guess they really don't pay attention to such nonsense -- just winning games. I wished him luck and said it would be great to see him out there that night. Afterward, I asked for his autograph on my hat -- and here it is.

Of course, I got my wish. The Padres were beating the Giants by a run going into the ninth inning. Now it's Trevor Time. Trevor came out -- and blew his first save since the beginning of the season. One of two blown saves all year. People at work blamed me for jinxing him. Perhaps that's so. If so, sorry Trevor. Sorry Padres -- but you're still the Western Division Champs and heading to the playoffs.

Um.... good luck Trevor... and the Padres! No, I really mean it! Beat St. Louis!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home