Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Kite/Wind Surfing


Actually, after I put that title on the photo, I found out this is called "Kite Surfing" and not wind surfing.

Anyway, this is one of my first photos with a new digital camera. I bought a cheap point and shoot that was small enough to fit in my pocket so I could take it with me on travel and I wouldn't worry too much about it when I had to leave it in the car for extended periods.

This shot was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 4600. I am a bit disappointed with the ability to frame the shot. Looking through the viewfinder gives you an image that isn't really even close to what you'll get once you press the shutter. I'm guessing it is just a site to make sure you're pointed in the general direction you want to shoot. I believe they think most folks will use the screen on the back to set up the shot, but with the sun as bright as it was, I couldn't see the screen that well and to be honest, it's a bit hard to pan with the action when you have to hold he camera a couple feet in front of you.

This was my best shot of the day and to make it look this nice I had to crop off a lot of dead space on the right (This is more or less what I saw through the viewfinder when I framed the shot.) Yes, the flash was on. I had turned it on to shoot inside and had forgot to turn it off when I went outside to shoot the surfers. Changing camera settings by traversing a menu is also a pain. I guess if I want SLR quality and ease, I'll need to pack my SLR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home